University of California San Francisco
UCSF Division of Cardiology is seeking a Senior Scientist to oversee pre-clinical translational research and to manage collaborative research projects with other cardiac and non-cardiac centers as well as private companies/biotech and pharmaceutical industries.
Under the general direction of the Program Director, Dr. Yerem Yeghiazarians, this role will oversee scientific-research programs and research-projects for the Cardiac Stem Cell Research Program/Cardiac Stem Cell Cross Disciplinary Program.
Responsibilities will include: independently identifying, developing and overseeing research processes/strategies, projects and collaborations; initiating strategic alliances and cross-disciplinary collaborations (industrial and non-industrial); assessing, identifying and overseeing regulatory needs; supervision of Program research staff, research scientists, fellows, postdocs and students; interfacing with investigators, collaborators, and local and federal grant agencies to initiate and complete various grants.
Organizational/Program Development (50%)
The individual will work very closely with the Director of the program to organize and hold meetings with scientific and business personnel and collaborators, to plan and implement scientific concepts, projects, grants, workshops, seminars, and lectures that will expand opportunities for scientific interaction and collaboration to increase the programs growth.
The individual will represent the Director as necessary. Supervise support staff, researchers, and review grants and subcontracts. Create novel research concepts and collaborations and ensure lab-experimental progress to validate these concepts.
The individual will develop proposal packages for submittal to NIH and other funding agencies; Supervise and oversee progress and results of funded projects and liaison with other principal investigators and business leaders.
The individual will plan and execute strategic research initiatives and business-research models to increase sponsored research support for the cardiac stem cell program/Cardiac Stem Cell Cross Disciplinary Program.
The individual will conduct outreach and promote the program's mission and opportunities to researchers, educators and students, private industry leaders, and government officials and policymakers.
The individual will initiate and sustain the research creativity and business by identifying new funding initiatives and opportunities, cultivating and creating strategic alliances with potential intra- and- extramural funders, and supervise lab-researchers with scientific proposal concepts and grant development for submission as funding opportunities arise.
The individual will create novel research concepts and carry out the research and ensure that the research staff implements and carries out the plan properly.
The individual will teach and supervise laboratory personnel to carry out any experimental procedures/methodologies that will be required to progress the program's research.
The individual will manage and direct the programs research scientist team with respect to conceptual research projects, aiming to translate into clinical utility.
The individual will supervise and ensure that the laboratory-team is making research-progress and exploring all options of research available.
The individual will maintain, organize and in a timely manner renew and keep updated all laboratory protocols.
The individual will develop research proposals based on novel scientific data and Interact with multiple cross-disciplinary investigators from multiple organizations, both national and international.
The individual will supervise in-house researchers.
The individual will interact with the manager/director for administration, with respect to collaborations, grants office and research personnel to oversee research grants, budget modifications and adjustments to scopes of work.
· PhD in Biological Sciences, Bioengineering, or related fields.
· Advanced knowledge of cell biology, stem cells/iPS cells, drug discovery, experience with culturing a wide variety of cell, running cell-based experiments, standard molecular biology and biochemistry techniques.
· Demonstrated ability to contribute independently to the design and successful completion and troubleshooting of experiments, data analysis and reporting.
· Be an innovative and "out-of-the box" thinker who excels in novel discoveries in multidisciplinary fields (not just cardiovascular).
. Proven skills and experience in independently resolving broad problems that may arise in collection or analysis of laboratory data.
· Self-motivated with ability to work independently and as part of a team. Able to learn effectively and meet deadlines.
· Demonstrated experience and ability to collaborate and supervise effectively with all levels of staff; technical, students, faculty and administrators.
· Demonstrated effective communication and interpersonal skills.
· Demonstrated ability to communicate technical information to technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization and to external research and education audiences.
· Proven ability to successfully work on multiple concurrent projects.
· Demonstrate high integrity and professionalism to work with patient data in a HIPAA-compliant and ethically responsible manner.
· Ability to effectively manage his/her own time
· Ability to keep laboratory protocols updated and the laboratory functioning in compliance.
· Ability to write grants and proposals for funding.
· Ability to work closely and collaboratively with colleagues and other lab members and other labs/contract research organization/other academic medical centers/consultants
· Skills and experience with cell biology, stem cells/iPS cells, drug discovery, experience with culturing a wide variety of cell, running cell-based experiments, standard molecular biology and biochemistry techniques.
· Demonstrated ability to regularly interface with management.
· Proven ability to understand research cycles that extend beyond a 2-year window.
· Interest and proven ability to train and guide the efforts of junior members of the team towards carrying out the broader goals of the laboratory.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
Please apply online at https://aprecruit.ucsf.edu/JPF03191. Applicant's materials must list current and/or pending qualifications upon submission.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Share On :