The position summary states the general nature and purpose of the job. Overall accountabilities are defined in this section.
The Microbiologist is accountable for accurate and timely microbiological analysis of various meat products and environmental samples. This position may be asked to do "method validation”. The microbiologist is accountable to ensure any and all testing time requirements or constraints are met.
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
- Conducts accurate pathogen testing of products and environmental samples, as an internal validation that the plant's food safety system is working and producing wholesome products.
- Performs representative tests including: Listeria testing program; Salmonella testing program; -E. Coli 0157:H7 testing Staph aureus; and Enterotoxin testing.
- Note: Some of the microbiology testing has very defined time requirements or constraints, some tests have very defined time limits for sample enrichment, incubation, boiling and contact time with the conjugate.
- Completes testing within the time limits defined in the procedure once the testing has started, in order to avoid invalid testing.
Shelf Life Testing
- Evaluates and determines the length of time in which products can be stored under refrigerated conditions and maintain product quality and wholesomeness, by testing meat and poultry products.
- Samples products on five different dates based on the expected target shelf life date. Testing includes sensory and microbiological analysis.
Product, Environmental, and Equipment Microbial Baselines
- By testing, determines and establishes microbial baselines for raw and finished products, processing equipment and the manufacturing environment.
- Uses baselines to determine if testing results are considered normal or high etc.
- Performs various microbiological testing on regular basis – covering all types of products, equipment and the manufacturing environment.
Research and Development Testing Preparation
- Conducts testing preparation work, to include making media and buffers etc.
- Provides microbiological data of all ingredients and new products under development for ingredient and R+D testing.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's degree (B.S.) from four-year college or university in Microbiology or a science related field and 2-5 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of various pathogens and microbes associated with food production.
- Hands on experience conducting microbiological testing of meat and poultry products.
- Working knowledge of HAACP principles.
- Knowledge of laboratory safety.
- Ability to use a variety of basic laboratory equipment.
- Knowledge of Database software; Internet software; Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to travel on an occasional basis.
4 Year Degree - BS