University of California San Diego
The Design Lab at UC San Diego (http://designlab.ucsd.edu) seeks candidates for tenure-track Assistant Professor and tenured Associate Professor faculty positions across multiple disciplines to begin July 1, 2022.
Assistant Professor, Design Lab: https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/JPF03086">https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/JPF03086
Associate Professor, Design Lab: https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/JPF03085">https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/JPF03085
We foster research and practice that centers people and communities in designing interdisciplinary solutions to complex, socio-technical problems.
We especially seek scholars who engage major societal issues at the intersections of Blackness, Indigeneity, race, migration, gender, sexuality, disability, class and other manifestations of power and difference.
Research of interest to The Design Lab include, (but not limited to):
-Indigenous futures, Black futures, and anti-racist futures
-Climate justice and environmental justice
-Urban infrastructure design (e.g. housing, water, transportation, information networks)
-Design as ethical and political praxis
-Data sovereignty and data justice
-Community-approaches to design
-Design processes, practices, and theory
-Futures of work
-Cultural and social media
-Mixed physical-digital interactions, cyber-physical systems, (eg. VR, AR, XR)
-Sustainable Computing (Battery-free/self-powered/biodegradable)
Candidates whose work is at the intersection of multiple research interests are encouraged to apply.
For the 2021-2022 hiring cycle, the Design Lab is partnering with the following units: Communication, Computer Science and Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Music, NanoEngineering, Public Health and Human Longevity, and Urban Studies and Planning. This position requires teaching of university students.
-Candidates for the Tenure-Track Assistant Professor position must have a PhD degree (or equivalent) or advancement to candidacy in the fields of Design, Communication, Computer Science, Engineering, Music, Public Health, Urban Planning, or another Design related field at the time of application. The successful applicant will be expected to establish a vigorous program of high-quality, funded design research.
-Candidates for the Tenured Associate Professor position must have a PhD degree (or equivalent) in the fields of Design, Communication, Computer Science, Engineering, Music, Public Health, Urban Planning, or another Design related field at the time of application.
-Preferred Candidates will show great promise in teaching, service, and research; will have a demonstrated record of human-centered research; be able to demonstrate the potential for teaching excellence as they will be expected to supervise and teach graduate and undergraduate students in design-related courses; demonstrate the highest standards of scholarship and professional activity; and contribute to an institution that is deeply committed to justice, equity, inclusion, and diversity. Inter- or transdisciplinary perspectives, experience with multiple or mixed methodologies, and community-driven design is highly valued.
-Candidates with demonstrated experience with or willingness to engage in activities that contribute to justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion in the Design Lab and at UC San Diego are especially encouraged to apply.
- Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- Cover Letter - Cover letter describing background and interests Please indicate which department(s) at UC San Diego) that you think are a good fit) (3 page max)
- Statement of Research - 4 pages max
- Statement of Teaching - 2 pages max
- Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Applicants should summarize their past or potential contributions to diversity. See our Faculty Equity site for more information.
- Misc / Additional (Optional)
- COVID-19 Impact Statement - We understand that the COVID-19 pandemic may have had a substantial impact on academic productivity. In our academic hiring processes, we will be keeping this in mind as we consider achievement relative to opportunity. We encourage you to reflect on constraints on opportunity in your field that were caused by the events of the pandemic and where applicable, to discuss your achievements in this light.
- Reprints of 2-3 representative publications or works
- Authorization to Release Form - Applicants must complete, sign and upload this form. See Institutional Reference Check (https://aps.ucsd.edu/recruitment/background_check/) for more information.
- 3-5 letters of reference required
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Share On :