Theatre Under The Stars
The Director of Development is responsible for handling all aspects of strategic fund development and
communications as they relate to annual fundraising activities, including, but not limited to: individual
giving, major gifts, corporate giving, grants, foundations, planned giving, government funding, and events.
The Director of Development will work closely with the Executive Director to identify and cultivate
current/potential donors as well as maintain satisfaction with all donors as it relates to their benefits and
recognition received throughout the year. This individual must ensure that all TUTS fundraising activities are
professionally executed and uphold the mission, vision, and values of the organization. The position supports
the Board of Directors as needed, acts as company liaison for the Development Committee and serves on
the senior management team.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• In conjunction with Executive Director and in alignment with TUTS initiatives, create, develop and
implement a comprehensive annual Institutional Advancement Plan that includes a calendar of deadlines,
strategies and guidelines for annual operating support.
• Develop and monitor an annual contributed revenue and expense budget including general department
operations and special events.
• Effectively recruit and manage the daily activities of the Development team with respect to specific areas
of focus; including, but not limited to the assignment and monitoring of fund development goals for each
• Working with the Executive Director and Board to integrate Capital Campaign Plan into the short and longterm annual fund needs of the organization.
• Research corporate, foundation, individual donor and public sector prospects.
• Grow major gifts program including identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors; including
but not limited to Planned Giving strategies.
• Collaborate with Board of Directors standing sub-committees as needed.
• Develop TUTS fundraising competency by ongoing training and development of staff.
• Provides fundraising coaching and direction to Board members as appropriate.
• Facilitate the growth and personal development of direct reports; focusing on building a collaborative,
• Cultivate strong partnerships with TUTS Senior Management team, Board, and community members.
• Attend professional development courses/seminars/workshops as they relate to Institutional
Advancement and communications (provide opportunities for staff enrichment).
• Through support and management of the Development team:
o Identify, cultivate, and steward donors by responding to all gifts in a timely manner with the appropriate communication and documentation
o Provide appropriate support to Development Committee Chair, board members and other
community partners as needed to carry out the functions of the committee and cultivate
• Perform any duties and support functions as directed by the Executive Director.
• Ensure that staff remains focused on departmental and organizational plans and strategies
• Monitor actual versus budgeted metrics and report accordingly.
• Monitor economic conditions that impact major gifts
• Participate in community events
• Be a professional representative of the company, at all times
• Participate in all TUTS special events.
Leads Development Team:
• Development Officers with portfolios including individuals, Corporate Giving, Foundations and
Government support/relations, and administrative support team members.
• Undergraduate degree in a related field with considerable experience in fund-raising, public relations,
communications, or related area with an understanding of non-profit organizations
• Master’s or other graduate degree a plus.
• Knowledge of basic non-profit development principles and practices with a minimum of 5 years not for
profit fundraising and grant writing experience. Experience in Tessitura a plus.
• Strong commitment to exemplary relationship building, customer service, and exceptional oral and
written communication skills are mandatory.
• Professional, articulate and exceptional networking skills
• Ability to engage in prospect research and identify new donors.
• Ability to listen effectively to assist staff and volunteers in identifying and resolving challenges with
creativity and efficiency.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and maintain a sound perspective, essential for maintaining
healthy relationships with co-workers.
• Knowledge of Windows products, including Word and Excel.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Ability and commitment to working with diverse groups in terms of gender expression, race, sexual
orientation, religion, ability, age, class and immigrant status.
Preferred Years Of Experience:5 Year(s)
Education Required:4 Year Degree - BS
Employment/Position Type:Full Time
Share On :