University of Massachusetts Medical School
The Epidemiologist is responsible for the design and conduct of studies in the Center with the Director. Carries out or directs analyses of data. Presents results at scientific meetings and helps to prepare manuscripts for publication. Writes or assists with the preparation of grants. Provides functional supervision and direction to staff for data acquisition, data entry, quality control and data management.
Study Design and Planning:
- Working with the Director, helps plan research studies and analyses, involving formulating research hypotheses and designing investigations to test them, assessing study feasibility, developing study protocols, and maintaining contact with outside investigators for collaborative studies. Will leverage a large database and biorepository within the Center. Must also have skills for accessing and analyzing publicly available on-line databases.
- Oversee personnel training and functional supervision, adherence to study protocols and manuals of procedures, to ensure efficient data acquisition, data management, and quality control.
- Provides functional supervision for research assistants, study coordinators and other study personnel. May also direct and supervise students, fellows and other temporary personnel working on research projects.
Project Management, Statistical Analyses & Interpretation of Results:
- Responsible for data management together with a database consultant.
- Designs and performs statistical analyses in collaboration with a consultant and may direct others in this function.
- Oversees programmer and data managers to achieve the goals of the study.
- Interprets results and helps plan future investigations together with the Director.
Presentation, Manuscript Preparation, Grant Writing:
- Presents study results at scientific meetings and assists in the preparation of abstracts and manuscripts on which he/she is co-author.
- Participates in the writing of grants for submission to funding agencies.
- Assess computer and technology needs of the Center and make recommendations based on available departmental resources.
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
- Doctorate degree in epidemiology or equivalent degree
- 3 years experience in the design and conduct of epidemiologic investigations.
- A background in project management including personnel training and supervision is also required.
- Must possess strong quantitative, analytical abilities for study design and implementation.
- Knowledge of SAS programming and analyses needed.
- A thorough understanding of computer operations and extensive experience working with statistical and data management software are essential.
- Must have a demonstrated aptitude for scientific writing and possess excellent written and verbal skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills are essential to provide clear direction to staff.
Employment/Position Type:Full Time
Share On :