Location: unity, ME
Category: Support Staff
Posted: May 16, 2019
About Unity College:
We educate environmental leaders
For over fifty years, Unity College has been preparing the next generation of environmental professionals and leaders to successfully face real-world challenges. We believe that we should serve a broad range of students from all backgrounds across the U.S. and the world. To be responsive to the rapidly changing needs of students and society, Unity College has adopted an enterprise model as its institutional organization, expanding the college into two distinct units that offer both undergraduate and graduate environmental degrees: flagship campus and distance education.
Unity College Flagship campus in Maine
On our flagship campus, our liberal arts curriculum is built upon a unique framework of sustainability science the first of its kind in the nation. A distinctive approach to learning provides our students with an exceptional, high-quality education, enabling them to drive real change with leading-edge knowledge and expertise within any of our environmentally focused majors. Our unique location provides extraordinary opportunities for hands-on learning and research, and active and engaged students work together with forward-thinking faculty to make true community-based learning possible. From 225 wooded acres of farmland overlooking Unity Pond in the tranquil village of Unity, Maine, we prepare each of our students to make a mark on the world.
Distance Education: Unity College Online
Our distance education unit, started in 2016, extends the effects of a Unity College education to adult learners, and beyond the physical confines of the flagship campus. Unity College Online offers affordable, accredited bachelor's degrees, master's degrees, and non-degree credits, ideal for working professionals seeking to advance their careers, helping students become the change maker the world needs while still honoring their commitments, wherever they are.
Whoever and wherever you are, Unity College can offer an environmental education for those committed to solving the world's most pressing environmental problems.
We are America's Environmental College.
The Maintenance Technician performs manual work necessary to maintain cleanliness, safety, orderliness, appearance and repair of campus grounds, roads, walks and buildings. Work is performed within established procedures under both written and verbal instructions. This position performs skilled preventative and corrective maintenance in a learning college environment. Specific duties include (but are not all inclusive):
- Performs repairs and/or remodeling projects such as painting, replacing restroom fixtures, makes keys, installs and repairs locksets, maintains and adjusts hardware; prepares and hangs doors; maintains and replaces equipment such as toilet supplies, lighting fixtures, air filters, floor drains, faucets and flush valves; fabricates, welds and repairs college owned equipment.
- Monitors, maintains, troubleshoots and repairs problems with the building systems to ensure proper operation including mechanical, plumbing, electrical, life safety, and energy management systems.
- Performs preventive maintenance on air conditioning systems, water treatment systems, refrigeration equipment, roofs, departmental tools and coordinates and supervises work performed by outside contractors for maintenance and construction.
- Utilize a variety of tools and equipment in the areas of painting, carpentry, plumbing and grounds maintenance.
- Perform routine duties generally associated with grounds work, including, but not limited to, mowing, edging, watering, planting and trimming foliage, preparing and maintaining beds for shrubs and ground cover and cleanup of campus grounds.
- Responsible for maintenance and upkeep of campus grounds equipment.
- Assist in the removal of snow, ice, and other debris from walkways, roads and parking areas.
The ideal candidate will have a high school diploma or GED or combination of school and experience plus:
- 1 - 2 years of maintenance experience (preferred)
- Ability to apply common sense to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to look for ways to improve efficiencies.
- Ability to work as part of a team or independently as needed.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, safety data sheets, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Basic computer skills are required for email, timekeeping system and other miscellaneous functions as required.
- Valid driver's license with a good driving record.
This is a full-time, calendar-year, non-exempt position. Must be willing and able to work any shift assigned, sometimes with short notice. Must be flexible and cooperative in fulfilling responsibilities and meeting the college's need. This position is considered "essential" to the college and not eligible for administrative closings.
While performing the duties of this position is regularly required to sit, stand and walk as well as talk and hear. Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds with use of designated moving equipment and up to 50 pounds without the use of equipment.
Unity College seeks to attract employees who share a commitment to the environment and to human diversity, and who have an interest in helping students develop an understanding of the richness and complexity of individuals and society.
Interested and qualified candidates should go to www.unity.edu/jobs to complete an application and submit a cover letter and resume. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. We look forward to hearing from you!
Preferred Years Of Experience:1 Year(s)
Education Required:High School
Employment/Position Type:Full Time
Share On :