Medical Assisting Full-Time Tenure Track
San Luis Obispo, California 93403
Medical Assisting Full-Time Tenure Track
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Job Type: Full Time
Job Number: FY2122-00085
Location: and Distance Education, CA
Department: Nursing & Allied Health
Closing: 2/21/2022 11:59 PM Pacific
Job Description Summary
The Nursing and Allied Health division at Cuesta College is looking for a Full-Time Tenure Track Medical Assisting Instructor. The position requires the candidate to teach theory, skills, and externship courses in both Fall and Spring semesters and assume the role and responsibilities of a full-time faculty including those listed below. The one-semester program runs each Fall and Spring semesters. Graduates are eligible for the California Certified Medical Assistant Examination leading to certification as a Medical Assistant.
Cuesta College values academic excellence and is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion among faculty, students, and staff. With our commitment to success and inclusivity Cuesta College is dedicated to providing students with an enriching learning experience to support attainment of their educational goals and careers. The successful candidate will be a capable instructor committed to collaborating with faculty, classified staff, administration, students, and community partners who are also committed to closing equity gaps.
Cuesta College seeks employees who value mentorship and are guided by a commitment to helping students achieve their educational goals. College faculty are expected to be knowledgeable about, and willing to utilize different learning and teaching methods appropriate to the students they serve.
Faculty are responsible for choosing appropriate course materials, developing a student-centered equity-minded syllabus adhering to a college-approved Course Outline of Record, outlining classroom expectations, and content to be covered as well as developing a plan for content delivery. This position requires regular communication with students throughout the semester, office hour availability, assigning grades, and referral of students to appropriate support services, as needed. Due to changes in instruction delivery, instructors will be expected to become online teaching certified, if not already certified.
Evidence of Outstanding Ability as an Instructor
Appropriate evidence for the candidate includes, but is not limited to, experience, training, or achievement:
- Commitment staying up-to-date with the latest developments in the medical assisting field and in collaboration with industry and/or professional organizations;
- Ability to continuously reflect, evaluate, and improve teaching methods;
- Ability to organize and explain materials/instructions in an appropriate manner to address students' abilities and learning styles;
- Ability to engage students in their learning, promote development of clinical reasoning skills, and addresses cultural diversity in the health care field;
- Ability to motivate students from a broad spectrum of cultural, academic, socioeconomic, and language backgrounds;
- Ability to develop and assess student learning outcomes, as well as identifying methods for achievement of those outcomes.
College or departmental responsibilities will include the following:
- Developing, participating, and/or updating program curriculum;
- Completing and submitting course assessments and evaluations;
- Serving on college committees (Participatory Governance);
- Participating and contributing to program review;
- Participating in Peer evaluations and hiring committees;
- Scheduling and working with full-time and part-time instructors in the department;
- Collaborating with classified staff and division chair;
- Serve as a liaison for community healthcare organizations;
- Collegial, professional, and ethical conduct;
- Effective oral and written communication skills;
- Distance Education Certification (by end of Spring 2023).
Located in the heart of scenic San Luis Obispo County, Cuesta College has provided comprehensive associate degree offerings, certificates, and community programs to the region since 1964. Committed to being an inclusive institution that inspires a diverse student population to achieve their educational goals, we are proud to be designated as an Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) by the U.S. Department of Education. Cuesta College is committed to racial and socioeconomic diversity that reflects our student population; we strive to hire candidates that share the value of commitment to diversity and inclusion. As part of the Cuesta College team, you can expect to be part of a collaborative community of faculty, classified staff, administrators, students, and community partners advancing educational excellence with intentional support services leading to student success and completion.
Additional information about the college can be found at
The college planning documents can be found at
Our Student Equity Action Plan can be found at
We offer comprehensive benefit options. Information about benefits can be found at
Cuesta College requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination or a negative test result. This may be verified through Cleared4Cuesta for all students, employees, and visitors who access Cuesta College campuses and facilities. For the most up to date information, please review our Covid-19 Resources page:
Essential Functions & Qualifications
Essential Functions & Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited institution and two years of work experience in a field directly related to the teaching assignment
- Associate's degree from an accredited institution and six years of work experience in a field directly related to the teaching assignment;
- The equivalent. (Candidates making application on the basis of equivalency must submit all materials requested for an equivalency judgment. For directions on what is an acceptable equivalency argument please review the requirements listed on the following link:
https://www.cuesta.edu/about/documents/hr_docs/Equivalency_Info.pdf (Download PDF reader))
-A valid Community College credential in the discipline (If received prior to 1990, as the credential is no longer being issued).
-Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
- California LVN, RN or Certified Medical Assisting
-Teaching experience in the discipline, community college level preferred;
- Awareness of the philosophy and objectives of California Community Colleges;
- Demonstrates ability to employ a variety of teaching techniques and strategies to address the diverse learning needs of students;
- Demonstrates ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS TO APPLY
Candidates will be required to submit ALL of the required documents below when applying for this position. When uploading documents, PDF uploads are preferred.
- Cover letter;
- Two current letters of recommendation (within 1 year);
- Teaching philosophy (see further instructions below);
- Unofficial transcripts;
- Diversity statement (see further instructions below).
Diversity Statement Instructions: Cuesta College is committed to building and maintaining a workforce that reflects and honors the diversity of our students. It is important to us that our faculty, staff, and administrators demonstrate an understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socioeconomic, ethnic, and religious backgrounds as well as sexual orientation and abilities of all constituents in the Cuesta College community.
In 500 words or less, with consideration to our Mission Statement and our values expressed above, please explain how you will demonstrate your commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in this position.
Equivalency Process Information: If you do not meet the minimum qualifications for the position please include an equivalency argument. For directions on what is an acceptable equivalency argument please review the requirements listed on the following link:
https://www.cuesta.edu/about/documents/hr_docs/Equivalency_Info.pdf (Download PDF reader)
Completed online applications and all supporting documents must be submitted by the closing date for this position. LATE, INCOMPLETE, FAXED, MAILED OR EMAILED APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Closing Date: Monday, February 21, 2022
Salary is determined by education and experience. More information regarding our current salary schedules can be found on the following link: https://www.cuesta.edu/about/depts/humanresources/salary_schedules.html
Cuesta College will not sponsor any visa applications.
San Luis Obispo County Community College District ("Cuesta College") is an equal opportunity employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), age, disability (physical and mental), genetic information, military and veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal and state law in admission and access to, or treatment in employment, educational programs or activities at any of its campuses. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose. Cuesta College also prohibits harassment on any of these bases, including sexual harassment, as well as sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking.
In compliance with California law, all prospective staff and students are entitled to read the Annual Security Report, published each October by the Cuesta College Department of Public Safety. This report contains information about our emergency and crime reporting procedures, as well as crime statistics for the past 3 years. You may request a copy of this report at one of our two Public Safety Offices: on SLO campus at Building 6600A or on North County Campus at building N1021, during campus business hours. You may also access the complete text of this report at the following website address:
Cuesta College uses E-Verify as part of the I-9 process to verify the work eligibility of all new hires. E-Verify is an Internet-based system that compares information from an employee's Form I-9 to data from U.S Department of Homeland Security and Social Security Administration records. For further information, visit: https://www.cuesta.edu/about/depts/humanresources/Job_Opportunities.html
Interview Process Information
Selected applicants will be required to attend an interview and teaching demonstration on Friday, March 11, 2022.
Selected applicants will move to second interviews to be held on Wednesday, March 16, 2022.
The selected applicant will begin their full-time teaching assignment in the 2022-23 school year which begins on August 9, 2022
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cuesta
The San Luis Obispo County Community College District promotes inclusiveness, prohibits discrimination, and encourages all qualified persons to apply. As an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, Cuesta College actively seeks candidates with diverse backgrounds to assist students, staff, and faculty. For ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) assistance with the application and/or interview process, please contact the Human Resources Office: (805) 546-3129.
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Preferred Years Of Experience:2 Year(s)
Education Required:4 Year Degree - BS
Date Posted : 01/04/2022
Share On :