SEIU (Service Employees International Union)
Job Title: Research Associate Grade: PS1A Salary: $59,164.82
Location: Washington, DC
SEIU is looking for research associates to join our healthcare campaign research team based in Washington, DC. We are looking for self-starting, intellectually curious people looking to bring about justice in the U.S. healthcare system. We may be looking for you if:
- You want to use a wide variety of research methods to analyze the behavior of large corporations.
- You are uncomfortable not knowing the answer to something and you want to dig until you find it.
- You are ready to ask the right questions to build power for healthcare workers through collective action.
SEIU has 2 million members in the US and Canada, primarily in health care, property services, and public services. SEIU is on the cutting edge of progressive activism, uniting workers to build better communities and strengthen our democracy. Join us if you want to fight for a just society where:
- All workers are valued and all people are respected.
- All families and communities thrive.
- We leave a better and more equal world for generations to come.
Primary Responsibilities (Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
- Gathers and analyzes qualitative and quantitative information about healthcare companies and healthcare issues from a variety of sources; includes analyzing internal and external databases.
- Synthesizes relevant facts/issues from a large amount of information/data.
- Prepares written summaries of analysis for internal audiences.
- Demonstrates the capability to learn and develop new skills.
- Works with local union staff to gather information and produce analyses.
- Performs other duties as required to support SEIU and its mission.
Include SEIU staff and others related to research issues.
Direction and Decision Making
This position reports to the Assistant Director and/or a Research Coordinator.
Education and Experience
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree in economics, business, statistics, labor relations or a related field, and two (2) years' experience in research, with demonstrated ability in quantitative or qualitative research, even as a student. Successful completion of the required research test OR a combination of experience and education that would provide the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Knowledge of research techniques and processes.
- Knowledge of quantitative techniques and analysis.
- Skilled in the use of personal computers, including proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet, database programs, and on-line research services.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Strong consideration given to proficient or fluent speakers of a language other than English (Spanish strongly preferred).
Work is generally performed in an office setting. Long and extended hours and travel
As a Research Associate, employees are considered probationary for the period of time they are in this job title. No employee may serve more than twelve months as a Research Associate and must qualify to advance to Research Analyst by the end of the probationary period.
A resume is required for all applications and a cover letter is highly suggested. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for SEIU, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan. Writing sample of analytical research paper required.
SEIU staff enjoy top notch benefits including comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental and vision for employee and eligible dependents, domestic partner benefits, competitive salaries, generous holidays and vacation policies, and both a pension plan and a 401(K) Plan.
This position is part of a Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) and as such the incumbent is bound by the language of said agreement and party to all benefits, dues and requirements associated with being a member of a union and the (CBA).
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Relocation costs are not covered by SEIU.
Salary Range:$59,163.00 - $59,164.00
Employment/Position Type:Full Time
Share On :