SEIU (Service Employees International Union)
Job Title: Research Coordinator II Grade: C Annual Pay: $84,466/YR
Location: Washington DC or NY- Location may be flexible
The position is responsible for leading the work of the research team assigned to the Public Division Higher Education campaign.
The campaign is home to more than 60,000 unionized college and university faculty and Graduate Employees who have won improvements in pay, job security, benefits and more on more than 70 campuses in 13 states.
The Higher Education Faculty Forward campaign is fighting for union academic jobs with livable wages, fully funded public college that makes education affordable and accessible for all, and debt relief for student loan debtors. The responsibilities of the Research Coordinator II include:
- supervising International and/or Local research staff assigned to the Higher Education campaign,
- working with Public Division and Strategic Initiative Department structures and with Locals organizing in higher education,
- developing the research capacity, methods, strategies and tools to support this campaign
- working to recruit, train and develop International and Local research staff.
- building industry expertise through attending conferences, networking with partners and allies, and digesting industry publications and reports.
A strategic campaigner with experience in research, labor, and/or higher education policy is preferred.
- Recruits, trains, evaluates, supervises and supports the work of research staff assigned to major division and union campaigns and programs; provide leadership to research staff, both international and local and assure that plans and work assignments are consistent with the organizing, political, mobilization and campaign goals of SEIU.
- Works with International Union Headquarters-based research staff in the development of effective national organizing, political and other priority campaigns.
- Provides ongoing support to the union leads on the union and division campaigns and programs.
- Assists with the direct implementation of national programs and mobilizations that support these union and division campaigns and programs, including working with leaders and union staff to develop organizing and mobilization strategies.
- Assists in the creation of Local union research networks that support the development of long-term capacity and campaign work in the Local unions.
- Provides research assistance to SEIU State councils for legislation, regulations and other political activity.
- Provides policy/funding analysis to support campaign strategies.
- Provides education and training of International and Local staff on policy and industry issues related to the campaigns and programs of SEIU.
- Works with employers and industry officials on policy issues
- Performs other duties as assigned in support of the work of the department.
Elected leadership; local union leaders; and staff and members; International Union staff and officers. CTW staff; state federation and central labor council leaders and staff; staff of other unions; public officials; and key staff; leaders and counterparts in targeted industries and employers; and leaders of other organizations who work with SEIU.
Direction and Decision Making:
Manage at own initiative, independent of all but necessary supervision by the Research Director/Deputy Research Director as appropriate.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree and a minimum of five (5) years of relevant research experience to include experience directing and evaluating the work of others.
Or, a combination of education and experience that would provide for knowledge, skills and abilities including:
- strategic and qualitative analysis.
- financial and data analysis.
- economic policies and statistical analysis.
- design, plan and implement tasks for research projects.
- design and produce complex research materials for a variety of audiences.
- communicate effectively both orally and in writing; proven presentation skills.
- work effectively with elected leaders and staff in complex and sometimes political situations required.
Work is generally performed in an office setting, but may be required to work in other settings conducive to performing the tasks required to complete assignments. Or field work. Travel and long and extended hours required.
A resume is required for all applications and a cover letter is highly suggested. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for SEIU, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
SEIU staff enjoy top notch benefits including comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental and vision for employee and eligible dependents, domestic partner benefits, competitive salaries, generous holidays and vacation policies, and both a pension plan and a 401(K) Plan.
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Salary Range:$84,465.00 - $84,466.00
Employment/Position Type:Full Time
Share On :