SEIU (Service Employees International Union)
Job Title: Senior Field Researcher Grade: III
Location: Chicago, IL; New York, NY; Sacramento, CA; Remote work considered
This position works in the Strategic Initiatives department of SEIU, within the Capital Stewardship (CSP) team, to provide research capacity, strategy and tools to support environmental, social and governance integration for SEIU's Capital stewardship program.
Primary Responsibilities (Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
- Facilitates the national planning and coordination of Environmental, Social, Government (ESG) work of the team under the direction of the CSP assistant or deputy director(s), consistent with the union's strategic program and the fiduciary context that frames the CSP team's work.
- Provide broader analysis of ESG policy issues and industry trends as identified as central to program development.
- Works with the CSP team to identify, execute and implement research projects consistent with SEIU CSP strategic framework including:
- Shareholder engagement;
- Responsible contracting;
- Analysis of corporate spreadsheets;
- Provide strategic research support on corporate engagement and accountability efforts to support bargaining, organizing, and community justice fights. Compiles, and analyzes data on industries, companies, issues, and other topics in support of SEIU's program.
- Works with and supports SEIU local researchers, pension fund trustees, and staff who are integrating and implementing ESG frameworks into corporate social responsibility campaigns.
Under supervision of department leadership and in coordination with department field staff, will provide support to union officers, local union staff, members and leaders, member trustees, and CSP field staff. May also be asked to coordinate with allied organizations, institutional investors and other financial market actors as program needs dictate.
Direction and Decision Making
This position reports to the Deputy Director, Strategic Initiatives, Capital Stewardship Team.
Education and Experience
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a Bachelor's of Science degree, and experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Ability to synthesize relevant facts/issues from a large amount of information/data including corporate governance and financial documents
- Ability to provide ESG and responsible contracting impact analysis on portfolio companies, industries, and businesses.
- Ability to provide input and guidance on ESG compliance issues, including ability to review and monitor ESG policies and shareholder-related issues.
- Ability to work collaboratively to turn research insights into an ESG campaign strategy.
- With the help of the Deputy Director, the ESG researcher would also assist with monitoring macro industry-specific data that could impact ESG performance and union program interests.
- Experience working with social justice organizations required (specific work experience with labor unions a plus).
- Must be open to actively pursuing intersectional justice as part of program practices and development (cross-cultural intersectional skills and experience a plus).
- Commitment to teamwork and a collaborative work culture a must.
Work is generally performed in an office setting, but may be required to work in other settings conducive to performing the work required to complete the assignment. Long and extended hours and travel required.
Probationary Period: Twelve (12) months
A resume is required for all applications and a cover letter is highly suggested. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for SEIU, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
SEIU staff enjoy top notch benefits including comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental and vision for employee and eligible dependents, domestic partner benefits, competitive salaries, generous holidays and vacation policies, and both a pension plan and a 401(K) Plan.
This position is part of a Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) and as such the incumbent is bound by the language of said agreement and party to all benefits, dues and requirements associated with being a member of a union and the (CBA).
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Relocation costs are not covered by SEIU.
Salary Range:$74,545.00 - $74,546.00
Employment/Position Type:Full Time
Share On :