Sr. Laboratory Coordinator
Johns Hopkins University
Johns Hopkins University
Baltimore, Maryland 21218
Sr. Laboratory Coordinator
Under the supervision of the Principal Investigator, assists in and supports research projects that involve neurobiological study in non-human primates. Position duties includes performing specialized and routine procedures, behavioral training of NHPs, assists during aseptic surgeries, ensures regulatory compliance, assists postdoctoral associates, carries out experiments including pharmacological/behavioral/physiological experiments, maintains equipment, performs preliminary data analysis, manages DEA requirements, tracks expenses and purchases, performs background research for proposed studies, schedules and coordinates lab meetings, monitor NHP for illness/injury/distress and notifies veterinarian when appropriate, weighs and administers drugs, ensures enrichment for NHP, instructs other lab personnel in specialized procedures and techniques, including regulatory compliance, assists with lab duties including supply inventory, equipment inventory, ordering and tracking. Provides documents/information as needed to the business office.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Acclimation and behavioral training of non-human primates (NHP).
- Prepare and assist in aseptic surgeries for implantation of surgical and recording implants in NHP.
- Assure regulatory compliance, including regulations related to animal research and chemical safety, including assistance with the training and orientation of new students and other research staff in the laboratory.
- Train new students and other research staff regarding the safety in handling NHP.
- Maintain equipment and supplies in the laboratory. Track expenses and purchases of laboratory supplies.
- Perform background research for equipment and supplies in the lab.
- Perform background literature review regarding the train and behavioral experiments in NHP. Schedule laboratory staff meetings.
- Perform preliminary data analysis.
- Monitor NHP for potential illness/injury/distress and notify veterinary staff when appropriate.
- Weigh and administer drugs, oversee environmental enrichment for NHP, and coordinates related activity with other members of the lab.
- Coordinate with the department business office and other university offices as needed.
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- Bachelor's degree in biology, chemistry or related field.
- Three years related experience.
- Master's degree, with related graduate research, may substitute for experience to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
- Previous experience in animal and/or behavioral research.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated proficiency in windows-based word processing, internet, and spreadsheet.
- Ability to work independently, as a team member, and under direct supervision.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- Flexibility in responding to assignments.
- Ability to work with a diverse research staff and with confidential materials.
- Ability to follow protocols, policies and procedures and respond appropriately when presented with novel situations.
- Demonstrated excellent record of attendance and punctuality.
- Supervise up to 4 graduate students and postdoctoral researchers for handling NHP.
- Up to $1,000
Classified Title: Sr. Laboratory Coordinator
Working Title: Sr. Laboratory Coordinator
Starting Salary Range: $38,920 to $53,520 per year
Employee group: Full Time
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: 01-MD:Homewood Campus
Department name: 10001392-Mind Brain Institute
Personnel area: School of Arts & Sciences
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information
To apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Baltimore-Sr-Laboratroy-Coordinator-MD-21218/606460600/
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
Preferred Years Of Experience:3 Year(s)
Education Required:4 Year Degree - BS
Employment/Position Type:Full Time
Date Posted : 03/11/2020
Share On :