SUNY Maritime College
About SUNY Maritime College:
SUNY Maritime College located on a 55-acre scenic waterfront property on the outskirts of New York City on the Throggs Neck peninsula where the East River meets Long Island Sound. The campus blends the best of two worlds: a comfortable college-town feel with the greatest city in the world. An impressive view of the sound extends toward the North Atlantic, yet only a few miles away are Yankee Stadium and midtown Manhattan. SUNY Maritime offers an array of employment opportunities stemming from entry level to professional positions which encourage growth and development among its employees.
EMPIRE STATE is a public vessel of the United States, solely operated for the training and licensure of the cadet midshipmen. While onboard, the cadets are engaged in classroom lecture, maintenance and repair, watch keeping, and drills and training exercises all in preparation for their eventual licensure. Of the 575 cadets onboard, there will be approximately 20% that are also in ROTC, and preparing for commissioning in the Armed Services following graduation and licensure.
In past years, and based on the anticipated number of cadets for this summer, we will be looking to hire a licensed Mental Health Counselor for the entire training period, or one for each half (approximately 70 days per half).
Description of Duties:
- Primary point of contact for cadets that request assistance with Mental Health needs.
- Maintaining of "office" hours for individual counseling appointments.
- Responsible for intake, assessment, individual counseling, emergency Mental Health services, consultation, and crisis intervention.
- Maintains accurate clinical records including appropriate intake forms and up to date notes.
- Acts as the on-call point person for any Mental Health related emergencies that occur on the ship or in port.
- Develop and provide proactive sessions for mental well-being and safety in ports of call (if applicable).
- Obtain knowledge of additional resources in each port that might be useful to the cadets aboard.
- Reports directly to the Master of the Training Ship with updates regarding mental health concerns/needs.
- Participation on the Ship's Safety Committee.
NOTE: We are continuously monitoring ongoing developments with the novel Coronavirus COVID-19. Updates regarding Summer Sea Term 2021 will be communicated as information becomes available.
The FULL Cruise appointment is anticipated to begin April 22, 2021 and end August 31, 2021.
However, you may apply and be considered for one of the following:
1. Cruise A (April 22, 2021 thru June 27, 2021)
- Cruise A1 (April 22, 2021 thru May 25, 2021)
- Cruise A2 (May 25, 2021 thru June 27, 2021)
2. Cruise B (June 26, 2021 thru August 31, 2021)
- Cruise B1 (June 26, 2021 thru July 29, 2021)
- Cruise B2 (July 29, 2021 thru August 31, 2021)
3. Full Cruise (April 22, 2021 to August 31, 2021)
Please indicate clearly in your cover letter and/or via email which cruise term you are interested in (A, 1, 2/B, 1, 2/FULL)
Master''s degree in Counseling, Social Work, or related field Licensed to practice counseling independently in New York State. Active (unrestricted) New York State License Minimum experience of 5 years providing Mental Health Treatment Valid US Passport TWIC DOT/USCG Periodic Drug Testing Documentation Letter from employer indicating that you have been in a random testing program meeting the criteria of 46 CFR 16.230 for at least 60 days (from April 22, 2020) during the previous 185 days, and ha,
- Master's degree in Counseling, Social Work, or related field
- Licensed to practice counseling independently in New York State.
- Active (unrestricted) New York State License
- Minimum experience of 5 years providing Mental Health Treatment
- Valid US Passport
- DOT/USCG Periodic Drug Testing Documentation
Letter from employer indicating that you have been in a random testing program meeting the criteria of 46 CFR 16.230 for at least 60 days (from April 22, 2020) during the previous 185 days, and have not failed nor refused to participate in a chemical test for dangerous drugs. OR
Passed a chemical test for dangerous drugs, required under Title 46 CFR 16.210 within the previous 185 days (from April 22, 2020)
- Doctorate in Clinical or Counseling Psychology, Social Work, or related field
- LCSW, LPC/LMHC licensure strongly preferred
- Substance abuse certification (CASAC)
- Experience with college counseling
- CPR certification
- Title IX experience
- Coast Guard/Military candidates are encouraged to apply
- Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC) - Note: All applicants must have an MMC
- Valid Medical Certificate - Note: The Medical Certificate is issued with the original MMC; however it must be renewed every 2-years.
A COPY OF ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION MUST BE PROVIDED PRIOR TO THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF APPOINTMENT. IF THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION IS NOT PROVIDED BY THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF APPOINTMENT YOUR APPLICATION CAN NO LONGER BE CONSIDERED FOR EMPLOYMENT. ALL DATES FOR US PASSPORT, TWIC, MMC AND MEDICAL CERTIFICATE MUST BE VALID FOR THE ENTIRETY OF YOUR ANTICIPATED APPOINTMENT.
Incumbent will be required to pay out of pocket expenses for obtaining necessary government paperwork and clearance for position
Compensation: Salary based on a daily rate of pay. Housing and all meals are included while aboard the EMPIRE STATE VI Training Ship. This is a temporary appointment. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously.
Travel and interview expenses will not be reimbursed.
Budget Title: Technical Specialist (CSL)
Salary Grade: NSSL
For those desiring additional information please contact:
- Ms. Joann Sprague, Office Manage
- (718) 409-7286
Ms. Christine D'Amico, Mental Health Counselor
SUNY Maritime College is an Equal Opportunity/Veterans/Disabled/Affirmative Action employer, committed to recruiting, supporting and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. For our full non-discrimination statement, see: http://www.sunymaritime.edu/affirmative-action
SUNY Maritime College is committed to maintaining a safe environment for its students, faculty, staff, volunteers and the general public that use our facilities. Therefore, in order to ensure the hiring of employees of the highest integrity and to maintain a safe campus community, SUNY Maritime College will conduct pre-employment background investigations on all individuals for whom employment is to be offered.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
If you need a disability related accommodation, please call The Office of Human Resource Services at (718) 409-7303 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (718) 409-7350. It can also be viewed on line by selecting University Police at www.sunymaritime.edu
Persons interested in the above position should apply online. Please submit:
- Cover letter including cruise option (Cruise A, Cruise B or Full Cruise)
- Contact information for three professional references
Returning Applicants - Login to your SUNY Maritime Careers Account to check your completed application, check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents
Preferred Years Of Experience:5 Year(s)
Education Required:Masters Degree - MA
Employment/Position Type:Full Time
Share On :