University of California Berkeley
Teaching Professor - Field Education Oversight - School of Social Welfare
Teaching Professor with MSW Field Program Oversight
Located within the world's finest public university and one of the most diverse regions in the nation, the UC Berkeley School of Social Welfare strives to transform the systems that perpetuate poverty and social disadvantage. Berkeley Social Welfare develops effective leaders and scholars committed to solving complex social problems; produces, disseminates and utilizes research to improve social-service delivery and policy through critical thinking and evidence-based knowledge; and prepares the next generation of culturally-competent social workers, researchers and teachers dedicated to serving the most vulnerable members of our society.
The School of Social Welfare at the University of California, Berkeley invites applications for one Teaching Professor (also known as Lecturer with the Potential for Security of Employment) position, with a specialty in social work curriculum and field education.
We are looking for an excellent teacher as demonstrated by superior classroom evaluations and experience. The successful candidate will have curricular expertise, a focus on field education and pedagogy, practice pedagogy in classroom settings, and a commensurate record of practice experience in the field. This person will work with senate faculty and field education consultants to support a robust curriculum and curricular delivery primarily for the MSW program, and the undergraduate and doctoral program as relevant. The successful candidate will serve as a pedagogical and intellectual leader, direct the instructional and training of the MSW field education program, with the potential to be the Associate Dean for Field Education. Unlike field director positions, the administrative load inherent in field education will be largely supported by an academic coordinator; this teaching professor position will help guide pedagogy that focuses on supporting pre-professional MSW students in developing holistic competencies cultivating the knowledge and value of scientific inquiry, social justice values, professional development including self-regulation, and technical skills for rigorous and relevant contemporary social work practice.
Rank will be determined based on qualifications and experience.
Depending on the rank at hire, this position has the potential for security of employment after approximately 6 years. Security of employment is the equivalent of tenure, and includes membership in the University's Academic Senate, and voting authority on School Senate decisions.
• Provide leadership of the signature curriculum of the field program;
• Oversee the ongoing supervision MSW students learning objectives throughout all stages of the field education process;
• Support field consultants in delivering methods that assist students integrating knowledge practice;
• Provide leadership in identifying and implementing assessment of student acquisition of pre-professional competency standards per the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE);
• Cultivate build, and maintain collaborative relationships with field agencies;
• Plan and facilitate both in person and virtual field education events;
• Coordinate with other senate faculty members, and also with academic advisors on matters of curriculum implementation;
• Serve on committees as needed (i.e. MSW committee, admissions committee);
• Teach assigned courses/ credits as assigned by Dean and Chair with a focus on classroom practice and/or field instruction (in person and online);
• Full teaching load (e.g., 3:3), depending on School need;
• Support the development and success of the online MSW and MSW Advanced Standing programs with a focus on field courses, seminar models, and practicum placements;
• Support re-accreditation efforts of the School and the field program, including data collection and reporting;
• Coordinate with faculty and agency field instructors in training students on site;
• Serve as a primary source of pedagogical expertise for senate faculty, field consultants and community lecturers.
We seek an individual who has:
• A demonstrated track record of knowledge development related to social work practice and/or pedagogy (e.g., scholarly publications, published training materials);
• A demonstrated track record of excellent teaching and supervision/mentorship—especially as it relates to building multi-level skills for social work practice;
• Substantial experience in social work practice with expertise in one or more of the following areas: child mental health, evidence-informed intervention strategies, field education, anti-oppressive social work theory and practice, or integration of theory, research, and practice;
• Leadership skills relevant to bridging social work field education and practice with classroom-based instruction;
• A commitment to multi-level social work practice;
• Demonstrated experience in practicing social work in underserved communities;
• An established or promising track record of collegial teamwork and university citizenship needed for a range of leadership roles and service duties in a public institution.
The School of Social Welfare is deeply committed to the University of California, Berkeley's principles of community, which are rooted in our mission of teaching, research and public service. They reflect our passion for critical inquiry, debate, discovery and innovation, and our deep commitment to contributing to a better world. We embrace open and equitable access to opportunities for learning and development as our obligation and goal.
The School is committed to addressing the family needs of faculty. We are interested in candidates who have had non-traditional career paths, have taken time off for family reasons, or have achieved excellence in careers outside academia. For information about potential relocation to Berkeley, or career needs of accompanying partners and spouses, please visit: http://ofew.berkeley.edu/new-faculty.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2706628
Copyright ©2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Share On :